Endless Ride for VESC?

can it be modified so that you only use the trigger to stop?

Sure it can but this way it is safer. I think it’s a bad idea that the board gives power the moment you push. Hard to keep balance. In my mode you simple release the trigger, push and hold the trigger again.

1 Like

the way mellow works is that it matches the maximum speed that you push the board. it’s not so much that there is a jolt of power, it’s more like, I push, and then it’s a really long coast that gradually slows, kind of how a friction motor works in a toy car

edit: adding video

4 Likes

@mikenyc @webst Thanks for the video, and yes mikenyc is correct, the way I see Mellow implementing it is by pushing the board a couple times, get up to a certain speed threshold, controller holds that speed for a period of time using some sort of cruise control, then gradually release power. They use the simplest approach, yet still safe and effective.

2 Likes

Did anybody ever test a mellow and can tell us if it feels good or bad?

I thought endless ride meant attaching a HUGE solar panel to your helmet, then running wires down your pants to the board. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

What happens when you start going down a hill?

Can’t you just watch the mellow video I pasted above?

It maintains your speed, so you’d want to apply the brake and either carve down, or use the brake to slow yourself.

So it actually can’t differentiate between a downhill and a push then. Okay

Yea but it’s no big deal, just free roll down the hill

What happens if you footbrake, do the motors attempt to overpower your brake?

Motors are just slowing down in preprogrammed manner (some fraction of speed per 30 revolutions). There is no distinguishing if you go upwards or downwards so your foot on the ground has no effect on ride unless you’re going up really steep hill.

It’ll think it’s going uphill. You have to use the remote to stop

1 Like

I got to try a mellow board yesterday on their west coast tour. They do feel really smooth, and the endless mode feels quite nice. Two kicks would keep me rolling like 40ft on flats. It was raining so i didnt get to REALLY try it out…

I tried your duty cycle push assist mode. It worked fine 90% off the time, but sometimes the motor (Hubmotor-single) would slam the brakes or get stuck after slipping over some gravel on the ground (tested it in winter).

Have you experienced something like that?

Current control works fine. Tested on: 10S Focbox single Hubmotor (Sensored).

You should disable braking in the PID settings so that braking is disabled during cruise control.

perfect, will try that.

So let me build upon this concept with you guys. Say we get this endless ride thing implemented. We can run a remoteless setup. Basically we can have pressure sensor on the board for just brakes. It’s more or less a novelty, however it sounds pretty great for say an electric assisted LDP. I’d like one for the fact that no remote = hardwired control.

Don’t forget to support all flavours with ‘stomp pedal’ positions

…oh and I just IP’d esk8 stomp pedals…sorry :joy: