Enertion Raptor | First Batch Problems & Solutions

What screw? does this have anything to do with the motor falling off?

Yes, the motor mount screw didnā€™t have any thread locker on it and it fell off.

there are 9 bolts, which one? photos please.

You can post photos directly from your phone onto this forum, simply open this forum (and raptor thread) on your phone, request the desktop version in the browser settings, then post a reply to the topic. Now in the reply section you can see the photo upload button, click that and browse your phone for the photo and it will upload it.

1 Like

Here is the software http://www.bldc-tool.support13

Jason @onloop just a suggestion for those that may not have a full snap on box of tools to just open up and repair most anything on the board. For many with questions here a tool list and a full hardware detail list (any way you can take the exploded view int the cad software and number the parts with descriptions) so identification is easy and/or replacement can be as easy as a quick run to the local hardware store (i.e. I need a socket cap M6x20mm screw).

Just came back from a ride and did a check of the fittings. Probably should of done that before I left after reading raptor customer post.

Bolts to motor mounts looked fine. Gave them a quick tighten. The RHS motor and drive was a little loose compared to the other. Found the gromit screw to the end motor belt drive was a little loose. Easy fix. Im going to watch the Onloop video on Motor Mount set up to check up on things to look out for.

There is a slight clicking sound to the LHS motor on the half turn. Sounds like it coming from wheel. Bearing?

On the subject of the remote controller range, I tested my Enertion remote this afternoon and I could get 10m from my board before the signal dropped. Please note this was NOT on a Raptor. Another good thing was the fact the board went to neutral when the signal dropped.

Mine has arrived today and after paying 305ā‚¬ (ouch) to the postman I unwrapped it. In this post Iā€™ll just write down what I ā€œdislikeā€ and save the good, well the awesome stuff to the new thread.

1. Okay first look and the griptape is sticking very bad on the board. A lot of bubbles and only like 50% of the glue had contact to the skateboard and the rest was not pressed down. I donā€™t know why it was like this and I hope that Enertion give the board a rub with alcohol before they glue it on. I have heated it slightly with a hot air gun to make the glue softer and stick better. Good! I hope that it will stay there now and no silicone is on the surface.
  2. Some of the screws were loose and I recommend to everyone to check them before riding. Two of the eight screws that hold the trucks were completely loose.
  3. Like others noticed on there first ride the range of the hand controller in combination with the CF Deck is poor. Especially on the first ride it is damn dangerous because you hit the joystick to accelerate aaaand nothing. If you change the position and leave the joystick in the acceleration position the remote get signal und you launch forward.
  4. @ Onloop. Do we need two of these risers to get no wheelbite? I really like it when a skateboard is low.

Please let us know if you have any success and how you go about this. Do you already know how you will do it? Do you know where to place an extension as far as which wire and whatnot? Here is what it looks like in my Dual Raptor:

My hope is that this might be a lead that can be easily used for an antenna extension:

When I obtain an adapter that will allow me to access the mini USB port on the VESC in my Raptor I will attempt to make the changes youā€™ve outlined. I ordered a few today from a few different places, but itā€™ll be at least a week before any of them make it. Anyhow, Will I need to make these changes to both VESC (slave and master) or just the master? Basically, Iā€™m not sure, even with an adapter, that I will be able to gain access to the mini USB port on the slave without removing it. Thatā€™s not something I would look forward to. Iā€™m handy enough to do it, but bought the complete to avoid such complications.

1 Like

that wire is not an antenna, it allows the signal from the RX to be split and sent directly into each vesc, in the end I decided to use CANbus interface for better syncing of the motors. I left the wire there just in case.

you can configure both vesc from one usb port. access to the with RX directly connected should be easy.

you probably only need to make those changes if there is a chance you will ride the board to 0% charge. I know this sounds like stupid mistake/excuse on my behalf, but because i started out riding with lipo batteries on my eboards I would never ride it to such a point the LVC would kick in - i was always battery conscious.

The problem is I am not designing the board for just me anymore, I must think of everyone and all possibilities, this is a well-learned lesson now. I will make changes & imporve.

yes, i prefer if people dont make changes to the firmware, but as a safety precaution it might be a good idea.

Great! This answers my questions and was very clear. I really appreciate the super fast response an thoroughness of the reply. I was just thinking of taking a new picture to make it more clear. Now thatā€™s not needed :wink:

Iā€™m still curious with what @Nasty will do related to an antenna extension. If it works to improve reception (and isnā€™t to complicated to achieve) better communication between the remote and Raptor canā€™t be a bad thing, right?

1 Like
  1. yes for some reason that grip tape only sticks down after you have ridden it once or twice, i thought about ordering another batch but it would add another two weeks and wasnt sure it would change anythingā€¦i didnt think it was a justified wait considering it does stick once you start to ride itā€¦ It stays down once it has weight on it so you could stack a some books on top of a towel to help that if you wantā€¦surface was cleaned before apply it.

2. Screws being loose is a major issue which I am gut wrenching over :cry: . I personally checked all the screws that I installed twice, whether my new assistant took the same methodological approach maybe not. I have been building eboards for three years full time, I know how important it is and it is an automatic instinct for me, My assistant hasnā€™t and was literally 2 weeks into a new role & seriously under the pump. *I am not sure if anyone read my owners manual but it clearly says check all the screws before riding, i also made a video emphasizing how important it is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: * Anyway, I am not trying to make this is an excuse, I totally fucked upā€¦ and accept full responsibility. We are now rethinking out QC procedure, i must admit that we could have done a better job at building the first batch. it was fucking chaos, i only thought id sell 10 of these and we sold 3x that muchā€¦ it was mayhem for a while.

3. this is another oversight on my behalf. During testing i just rode how i naturally would, for me this is holding the remote in my right hand and holding it low, its normally only max of 3ft away. Never had any signal issues also my deck has a pure carbon fiber lid too. I will probably need to change the lid to Pure Glass Fiberā€¦

4. the extra riser was a last minute safety idea. you can get away with just one, but beware the chance of wheel bite increases & the chance of the motor hitting the deck increases (only when cornering really aggressively). If you are a big guy its probably better to leave the two in place. But test it & see. it also depends on what bushing setup you go with, the standard bushings are probably not good for heavy guys (95kg+) so i suggest changing them if you want to ride at high speed and avoid the wobs.

1 Like

After the second ride I have to admit that we need a better connection between both. Mine is really bad and gives me a hard time while riding. Especially when you are in a multi-storey car park like me 20 min ago (only dry spot I could find). It was pure fun an a adrenalin rush but if you canā€™t break because you hold the controller 5cm to far from the board the fun part drops pretty fast. Same with acceleration in bends. I leave the throttle on the same position and move on the board and it stops and starts accelerating uncontrolled. If this issue is solved you canā€™t beat the performance this Raptor delivers.

1 Like

I agree the performance is off the wall!! Butthere are many faults that need to be amended to make it usable for transportation. I hope he gets around to my questions soon. :sweat_smile:

sorry @RaptorCustomer i missed the question, can you write it again.

in order to truly enjoy the power of the raptor you have to build full confidence in the board. losing connection is certainly not helpful. but iā€™m confident a solution will be found soon. i will be able to start testing tomorrow as well (yeaah). this might be one of those occasions where my smaller statue will be of advantage.

has anyone tried if removing the rubber case on the remote is making a difference already? the sledgehammer approach would be to cut another hole in the board above the receiver.

also some of you may have noticed, in some cases the holes for the trucks had to be re-drilled. itā€™s only a cosmetic thing but it bugs me a bit. my idea is to cover it with grip tape as well. iā€™ll get some this week and post some pictures how it looks. maybe in a different shade of gray or if available in a blue similar to the trucks.

maybe for now, anyone with signal issues, i suggest drilling a 10-15mm hole directly above the RX (perhaps first test with the lid off to ensure it improves the results)

I will send all raptor customers with signal problems a new lidā€¦ with less carbon fiber in it!.

it also dawned on me maybe some of you got boards with pure carbon fiber lidsā€¦ I just realised I didnā€™t change that until the 2nd batch of decksā€¦ :cold_sweat:

1. All good! The heat gun works like a charm and makes the gip tape really sticky.
  2. Do you think i should unscrew everything and put new Locktite on the lower windings of the screws? Sad that the boards donĀ“t have a serial number and you could check who made it. Like Tom said I bought a complete to avoid such a work.
  3. Yes if you ride regular and use your right hand for the controller. I ride goofy and use the hand controller with the right hand so it makes a bigger distance. What do you think about drilling holes in the lid over the RX?
  4. Okay IĀ“ll remove them! Thanks for your quick response!