First build: dual 6374-190kv TB motors - 13s4p diy -dual Focbox - Arbor Prodigy 38" - DIY 97mm wheels - TB218 trucks (65kg skateboarder on top)

If you want speed AND carve, your best bet is the tiller TKPs on a 38"ish board

You can vacuum form itā€¦much faster than fiber glass and a lot less messy

Kydex is a thermoform plastic. comes as a flat sheet. You use wood to form a mold. Then throw the Kydex in the oven so it becomes soft like a blanket. Lay it over the form. adjust some edges. Once it cools, it hardens and becomes much like plastic. I recommend Kydex T, (on amazon just not prime) since it passes various fire tests. The Plastics 2000 stuff is basically scraps that the company canā€™t sell to manufactures.

It looks like a good way to get sleek enclosures. But it also requires some skill to make it look good. This video makes it look less good. The professionals use vacuum to get clean edges. I have yet to actually form mine.

Yeah kydex is very good stuff, it will protect from general abuse very well and should keep the fire in if your battery goes up in flames

1 Like

No. It wonā€™t

3 Likes

You right, its fire resistant enough to get to safetyā€¦nothing short of welded steel will keep the fire in

the deck is made of wood anyway, so no point in making it 100% fireproof

1 Like

the 6374s will fit in there 2x ?

Kydex T is subjected to UL standart 942, this test is just to describe its flamability. Under this test it receives a V-0, 5V 3 rating. This basically amounts to the fact that it will self extinguish after a given period of time. Not sure on the exact time, but it amounts to less than 60s of flame given a vertical test piece. The UL standard also rates how many drops of plastic fall from the piece and yadda yadda. Industry standards make for fantastic late night reading

EDIT: This is actually the difference between the T and the plastics 2000 stuff. The cheaper plastics 2000 stuff is does not undergo any tests. so theoretically it could continue to burn on its own more so than the T

Haha, no ASMR needed, I`d fall right asleep :wink: looks pretty solid though this Kydex T. Might give it a try. Gonna be super-secure with the battery build also

These have 21cm between mount faces, thatā€™s enough for a pair of APS 63100s or the MTO6880 behemoths

Im gonna be sooo broke this summer, my wife might even leave me. Its me or the electric skateboard sheā€™d say

2 Likes

Lolā€¦one of the jokes between me and my best friend is ā€œI want someone to look at me the way Zach looks at his skateboardsā€ā€¦make sure you look at your girl like that and theyā€™ll never let you go

Haha good one :smiley: , since Iā€™m not an actor thatā€™s not an option :wink: looking at my girl with the same AWE and inspiration I mean

All this talk on trucks , if you want to save a bit of money caliber 2ā€™s are fine if your just starting out. I just tightened fuck out of mine and did 45km per hr no problem and no wobbles. My deck is hard as fuck thou with Zero flex. Just an opinion. No good for motors over 55mm though

Instead of arguing about how to ā€œkeep the fire inā€, why dont you give advice on how to make sure there is no fire?

1 Like

This is how you ā€œkeep the fire inā€

2 Likes

I bought an Ownboard W2 this winter it maxes at 42 km/h wich at first was pretty fast but after a few rides you wanted to go faster. Its not that I want to go superfast all the time, and be reckless in traffic, but I really want the option to go faster, if my surroundings allow it. That and I want to build my own DIY style :wink:

Have you built a battery before ? Reading your posts it would seem not. Maybe look at a prebuilt battery pack and enclosure combo. If youā€™re only going to have one board then building your own, and making the inevitable mistakes along the way, could easily become more expensive than just buying one from an expert builder / professional. Then you can just concentrate on building your board. Thereā€™s no shame in not welding your own batteries. Plus itā€™s potentially safer for you and your home/family members.

Yes, but since I live in Norway, shipping those prebuilt batteries is superexpensive. Besides I like a challenge, being a process engineer i am used to learning complex tasks and being careful and patient. I also have a friend who is en electrical engineer that can help me if I need. Gonna follow all threads here I can fiend and build accordingly. Use glasses and rubber gloves.

3 Likes