First build, would love your advice!

You just have to halve your battery settings per vesc as you are now connecting 2 units to it. For example Single set up = 40 amps battery max and -25 min(regen) (Just an example not a recommendation)

then on the dual each vesc would be 20 amps battery max and -12 battery min. Sure you get the picture.:grinning:

2 Likes

I’d change “Battery cutoff end” to something like 37.4 for 11S li-ion

Like what @mmaner said, or alternatively you could try a 22T motor pulley if you can find one or try a 20T motor pulley + 107mm wheels to get you to 25mph without changing your wheel pulleys.

Funny guy you

Something I’ve not considered, but does the diam of the two pulleys affect much? I understand torque ratios and what not, but if someone has two set up 15/30 and the other is 20/40, since the ratio is 1:2 on both would the performance be identical? Or, since the 20t is widsr in radius than the 15t, would it have less torque even though the ratio is identical?

The torque would be the same on both setups since they are both 1:2, but the one with bigger diameter pulleys would have less potential for skipping and could be run looser which is more efficient and has less idle drag and makes the belts last longer. So bigger is better, but you don’t want the wheel pulley so big it’s too close to the roadway either… You really don’t want to use a pulley with less than 15 teeth either because it strains the belt too much reducing its lifespan and can skip easier.

So 15-20 motor pulley and 32 - 44 wheel pulley are the normal size ranges and 15/36 and 15/40 are the most popular ratios.

Of course none of these are hard rules; you can do whatever you want and each setup is different.

Where would you suggest I find 20t motor pulleys? That would be much less expensive but I can’t seem to find any on the usual sites I go to. My pulley kit is the 15mm 16t/40t from Torque board, if that helps any. Oe if you have any extra you’re up to selling that works too

What is the bore? 8mm?

I’m assuming HTD5M tooth profile which is what 99.9% of esk8 use. Boosted brand skates and a very, very, very small number of DIY use HTM3M

The diameter of the BKB 6374 motors I’m using is 8mm, I don’t know enough about the different tooth profile unfortunately, I’m hoping torque boards uses htd5m

They’re aluminum but you can find them on Amazon

A @J0ker3366 any chance you can share an active link? I’ve purchased several specific esk8 things on Amazon (electrical connectors, bolts, etc) that i wasn’t super familiar with and have to keep returning things because I get a small measurement wrong

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLQ3356/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Steel ones are better though if you can find them.

2 Likes

Apex for connectors. Ill get you a link for the pulley

Or not lol. Thank you @b264 lol

2 Likes

Also a 3mm keyway is a LOT better if you can find one with that

Thank you both! While you’re here, any thoughts on idler bearings? I’m consider adding a couple if they’re worth it, 6374 is a lot of torque and it was slipping a lot today. Or if you have any tips on tensioning belts in TB mounts?

Yeah I was hoping thefd was some some secret source y’all use for pulleys with the keyhole and with quick shipping, I’m super spoiled with Amazon prime

Vendors here have a lot of things but I’m not aware of any 20T keyed steel motor pulleys with 8mm bore

Good luck finding it!

I had a machine shop use a broach to add keyways to some of my pulleys but they aren’t needed per se, just gives me piece of mind that when I slam on the brakes, the motor pulleys aren’t going to strip their tiny grubscrews and spin-out on me

PM @torqueboards, he uses to have some.

Not sure what I did different aside from fully charged but I wired it up again and hit 25 mph easy, not even full speed.

I’ve had some hiccups with my vescs, but while that’s being sorted out I wanted to show you all my front trucks. The first photo is my xt90 antispark on/off switch (with a walnut grip I made), then it’s my usb phone charge port (used a step down module), and the next photo is the board charging port. The last photo is a picture of the wires I routed through the board that come up directly into the housing so no waterproofing issues (I need to clean it up the silicone a bunch, but the concept is there) 20190114_173720 20190114_173647 20190114_173715 20190114_173658

1 Like