Flash Sale: Carvon V4 XL limited sets (COMPLETED)

5 Likes

Haha I promise you ainā€™t the only one lol

It fits the top speed I want for that build and the 13P helps with the current load on the cells. 5A/cell = 65A continuously with a burst up to 130A with a 2v sag on 30V.

I usually over spec my builds and limit them in software so I know that any faults wonā€™t damage any hardware before the fuse goes.

1 Like

With 12S you would have 1/3 less amps in the battery circle to achieve the same power. So also less heat on the wires (your copper bars donā€™t care) and i guess also less stress for the vesc. (Which will be fine anyway). And top speed could be limited in the software. (which you canā€™t in this configuration)

Lol Iā€™m in, this is getting obscene. You got any other wallet emptying surprises coming up? :slight_smile:

Now that Iā€™ve committed, Iā€™m guessing 4wd V4SDXL with carvon branded blue superfly 107s for cheaper than the parts, 5 pieces only.

BTW are these XL a response to raptor 2 ghost hubs?

2 Likes

We were the ones upset they wouldnā€™t sell motors and begging for them to take our money. No complaints here :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes and no, Yes, the 12S requires less current at the same power condition, and it would be less taxing on electronics, but I would also require a much lower kv motor for what the board is intended or gearing. I am running a direct drive, so gearing isnā€™t possible. Running a lower kV would increase the internal resistance of the motors, and therefore generate more heat and decrease efficiency at the conditions which I want to run at.

This is for a free riding board and carving uphill. Not really for speed. The setup Iā€™m going with has 125kV motors and 107mm wheels, top speed of about 30mph with the batteries dead which is what I will limit it at.

Although the entire build might have to be re-thought out since I bought the Carvon lol

not just lipos. LIPOS. All caps, italics, bold. Gonna need a halon system for the fire :slight_smile:

I wouldve got the XL on top of the SD if PayPal was accepted :yum:

Yeah I was scorned at PP not being accepted but still did the upgrade

edit: Now Iā€™ll have to change my credit card number so if their site gets hacked in 3 years Iā€™m immune LoLz

Lol well I still used my PayPal CCD, just couldnā€™t do the 6 months no interest :yum:

These XL mean 10mm bearings, right? No more Zealous or bilt-ins, and my stash of spacers and speedrings wonā€™t fit.

Anyone have links for ones they like? Seismic Tektons with the built in spacers? Ceramic?

EDIT beastos are 8mm

Iā€™m going to toss out a guess here, Iā€™m sure if those wonā€™t work someone will chime in

I did a bunch of ebay no brand bearings before, no mas. Need a reputation or country of origin, etc.

And yeah the ones you linked have OD 19mm. Normal skate bearings (608) have OD 22mm.

https://www.surf-rodz.com/products/truck-parts/10mm-bearings cheaper at $10 but need spacers (not optional for me) and speedrings.

I feel like I must be doing my math wrong, but these on 97mm wheels have a max theoretical speed of around 47mph so realistically at least 30. But then if my math is correct, the normal speed drives have a theoretical max of around 60mph on 97mm wheels, yet only get 38mph. Something seems offā€¦

They might not have enough torque to reach their theoretical speed.

I put in: 10s 85kv 70% efficiency (as recommended) 1 motor teeth (1:1 ratio) 1 wheel teeth (1:1 ratio)

results: Top Speed 35.73 mph / 57.50 kph Weighted Top Speed 25.01 mph / 40.25 kph

This lines up with my experience with v2.5 top speed about 31mph for me.

EDIT for 12s, that page gives:

Top Speed 42.88 mph / 69.00 kph Weighted Top Speed 30.01 mph / 48.30 kph

Still not 47mph theoretical top speed.

EDIT again, adjusting to 85% efficiency for 10s gives me just about 30mph, which matches my real world numbers. 12s pushes that to 36mph.

Of course it wonā€™t reach it but it seems very far off from it.

@deucesdown I calculated it with 12s

Thats and interesting thought, i still want 4 though lol

1 Like

Torque constant is 1/kv. It is very possible that the torque/rpm condition falls out of the design rpm/torque range. A 4wd would be able to get closer to the theoretical limit because the rpm/torque condition per motor is closer to the design point.

If the theoretical limit and rw limits are that far off then the system could have been designed wrong. The XL would be a move in the right direction but I havenā€™t tested either system and am unaware of what speeds are actually achieved as I just jumped in the Carvon train without much research lol