FOCBOX Unity Dual Motor!

@Blasto

Including a MicroUSB cable with C-type connector will help most of the users Or we can simply add two USB ports on the PCB

2 Likes

redundancy is usually good, but does not make sense on mass production. USB Type-C is future proof, can be abused more than micro-USB , is reversible and thinner than mini-USB. So…

I would hate to loose access to both my motor controllers just because some cheap flimsy micro-usb port broke or has contact issues.

3 Likes

Plus one for USB-C :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lol will not have 2 usb ports.

As for the power input on the side, routing wise it’s what makes sense, the board 115mm wide, so 5mm thinner than 2 focbox’s. So you can easily run the cable w connector on the side, it cleans up the real estate at back of the unit

2 Likes

I’ve already lost access to motor controller because MicroUSB is garbage.

Either Mini or C are both fine. C is future-proof and lots of folks have phones that use USB-C anyway so cables are everywhere.

1 Like

I have one concern about these that will keep me from investing in them. If one side dies, I am forced to throw away a perfectly good ESC on the other side and replace it…that’s not a good idea…I would much rather have a modular product where I can replace one side or the other easily without buying an entire new dual ESC. They are not robust enough and die all the time still, the forums and FB posts are filled with DVR errors and magic smoke…After having two die on me, without user error at all…I will not trust a dual ESC…not until the ESC’s are robust enough to last basic usage in the hands of a hobbyist…

2 Likes

That not a dual ESC, but ONE esc that control 2 Motor… There is a difference, and that what make it more efficient and robust.

1 Like

No, not really, it’s just two VESC’s sharing the same board, it duplicates many components, in essence doubling the chances of it frying itself too…If you look at it and understand how these things were made you will see it’s simply a combination of two ESC’s…they have these for the drone market as well, they call them 4 in 1 ESC’s but they are 4 on a board, to safe space, cost 4 times as much and when you lose 1 ESC, you loose 3 good ones too…it’s a poor idea until ESC’s stop becoming the weak link in our power systems…

1 Like

It only has one microcontroller, so I would describe it as a single ESC that control two motors.

The bigger problem is the continued presence of the DRV chips. Except this one has two of them… It’s time to move past those and use a different design.

2 Likes

The above statement and it’s source should be enough to prove your previous message as inaccurate. Apperantly it wasn’t enough for you.

Your absolute and total lack of electronics engineering principals is evident. You are incorrect. Regrardless of what you believe to be true, what is actually true is what is relevant.

7 Likes

So it has one central CPU, ok, that’s one component, how about the others and how many are there? Aren’t the fets the things always die anyway? \

So my question is simple…when one motor stops spinning, and the other keeps working, what are you going to do with the entire ESC?

I have a dual motor ESC sitting in a box in my shop already, one side works the other doesn’t…it sits in a junk box below my table and it’s a complete paper weight…

@JohnnyMeduse DRV Wizard LoLz

If they got rid of the DRV chips this might not even be an issue. But as-is, I agree with you

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

How come we cant use discrete drivers for the fets? To much work on the coding side?

1 Like

Technically none, as DRV is also simple Gate Driver :wink: with current sense amplifiers :slight_smile: But from price point its way more expensive you need 3 x gate drivers, 3 x current sense amps instead of one DRV :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much more do you think it would cost?

Also discrete driver requires different voltage rail usually ~12V so its also introduce cost :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny thing most of the issue isn’t event caused by the DRV but The DIRECTFET, and that is really important to understand, because what makes the directfet special it’s also what makes it fails since there are not many assembly companies that can cope with the absolutely precise temperature curve require to solder them, since if it is too cold it will make cold soldering and if your too high the casing tend to come apart from the inside, and this happens in a really narrow temps delta. But you have to take in account, that unlike more regular mosfet package, this one is sinking heat trough it’s hole body, which make it harder to regulate the temperature where the soldering is located, specially in a industrial conveyer oven.

So basically DirectFet are a pain in the A… for manufacturer.

Before every panic, it doesn’t mean that every problem out there is caused by these, and it is Important to remember everyone that Focbox is tested prior to being ship, to catch those issue and help the manufacturer refine their process. And I have repair enough to know that sadly there is a lot of user error out there (I don’t want to be rude to anyone, we all make mistake).

And BTW a good amount of the problem that occurs from the user is from setting dual ESC in can, without having the 2 ESC booting at the same time.

You send it to the WIZARD for repair :wink: … It will event cost less than one unit.

Edit: Since I don’t want to get misunderstood… These kind of issue with the directfet will affect EVERYONE that are using directfet and not only Enertion

9 Likes

If it costs less than one unit, then my point would become moot…but I bet this will cost almost twice as much…