FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Unless I am mistaken I am sure power to esc goes from the battery directly but the power from the esc goes through the bms first then to the battery.

Is that also not the reason why we say bypassed for discharge. Any charge is still handled by the bms or my wiring is wrong.

As you can see any charge will go to the bms (negative lead black) and discharge goes straight to esc (positive lead red).

Do you have the diagram of that particular BMS?

To me it does not look bypassed.

Here is how my bypassed D140 looks.

The EC3 is for the charge port and the XT90S goes to the Vescs. The charge and discharge circuit are completely separate. Regenerative charging does not happen via the BMS.

1 Like

Well as I suspected. I am doing it wrong.

Actually am using a different bms now but yeah the way it is wired is like I said so the charge always goes through the bms.

Gonna completely bypass it now and finally add a charge port which is still missing. Then the bms will only be connected from battery to bms to charge port. And battery straight to esc.

Thank you.

I was sure I had it wired correctly like this. Now I am also wondering how the hell this bms has handled all my brake amps this whole time.

I’m using this one.

€ 23,33 | 12S 60A 50.4V li-ion BMS PCM battery protection board bms pcm for electric bike battery cell pack

Also why is your d140 so different from mine which I bought from @Grozniy

Is everyone bypassing the bms this way all along?

1 Like

Yours seems to have 5A as max charge and discharge current. The discharge is irrelevant in our application, so as long as you keep your charging currents at or below 5A you should be golden.

I think mine is the 15A version but I have thrown away the packaging, I have another one at home unopened I will check.

1 Like

Here is the other D140 I have.

It seems to be the 15A version too, however this one comes with a temperature sensor whereas my other one does not :thinking:

20190404_183552

2 Likes

Are you shooting archery and wiring BMSs? :joy:

Also how would that temperature sensor share data? Is it only for the bms?

What do you shoot, if I may ask? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I shoot competitive compound.

My main rig is a Hoyt Prevail 40 SVX

IMG_0607

I also have a Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34

IMG_6706

A W&W wiawis nano max

IMG_9962

A Hoyt Satori 21 ( no pics of it)

6 Likes

Looks like your bms is rated for 60A discharge, so it possibly would be ok not to bypass for discharge?

As for brake amps, it’s unlikely braking regen current would exceed the rated charge current for most bms I think.

The issue for a discharge only bms is overcharging - so for example riding a fully charged board down a steep hill with full brakes… there’s a possibility the battery will exceed its capacity because there is no bms to switch off the current once the battery reaches max voltage.

I have a 60A bms, but I have bypassed it cos I trust the unity to handle max discharge and I reckon the braking regen overcharge thing is a bit of a red herring. Just to be sure I always ride uphill first when my board is fully charged. That’s easy cos I have a steep driveway to get onto the street from my house.

that’s bad ass…

1 Like

So I fixed up everything, I notice when the board is on stand still, pushing up the throttle forward, the board would jerk abit before moving forward, but if the board is already rolling forward and I push the throttle forward it would roll smoothly, any idea why the jerk?

100% the hall sensors. You either…

• don’t have them
  • didn’t turn them on
  • didn’t do detection for them

So if I use the Standard setup guide in the standard tool It automatically will run it in foc. if I want it in bldc I need to use the advance setup tool?. https://youtu.be/C7MtbMTKrOs

Trying to update the unity on my phone and it it states im using old firmware, i try to update it and my Unity turns off around 80% and have to start it again. done it like 5 times… patience is starting to wear thin…

Use your PC or Mac

i only have a mac, could some one link me to download for mac?

are your fingers broken?

8 Likes

Sometimes asking gets you a quicker resolution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine did that. Mine was because the unity was timing out and shutting off. The next time i tried it, i spun the wheels every so often to send a charge to the unity so it wouldnt time out. It worked. Not sure if i got lucky or it actually worked, but worth a try.

1 Like

Afaik the Unity does not support BLDC, only FOC.

1 Like

Okay fixed it for bypass discharge. Not sure how it was able to handle the amps though before.

1 Like