Help! single hub build

yes, the larger the hubs, the larger the motor- this is important for several reasons. The first is that a larger motor means you have large Stators (magnets) and more copper, which directly translates with more power (more specifically more torque, which you want). There is also an entire thread on here called “why small hub motors fail” which details why you don’t want small hub motors- 83mm is the bare minimum size for hub motors, and I personally would never go with those and would choose 90mm any day simply because larger wheels mean that cracks in the pavement (riding on sidewalks too) and small gravel are not as much of an issue whereas those can easily land you on the ground if you are using small wheels. As others have mentioned, I think you should do some more research. If you want my honest opinion, I would just try to sell the Kuickwheel (not on here, you’ll never sell it- try facebook groups or ebay) for as close to retail as you can, and then invest your time and money either in a dual hub motor build with larger hub motors if you’re really stuck on using them, or a single belt drive (6355 or 6374). If you want the best possible price to performance, with good speed and serious torque, I would get 6374 with a 15mm 5m belt- it’s what i’m running now and its great. I know you said you don’t want to adjust belts, but I have only had to adjust my belt 3 times in the 9 or so months that I have had my board- trust me, it’s not a big deal.

I know that those hub motors mount to the truck with the long shaft thing that is inserted inside the truck and bolted down…

would there be any way i could chop the truck hanger down shorter to only have one bolt holding the motor in on each side… this combined with as small a deck as possible would be NIIICE…

They have a 30" model. And I would not modify the trucks, You could only make the ride worse.

Im very interested… but my question is… did these “bigger” hub motors require some kind of truck redesign, how exactly do they mount to the truck… are there any with the maytech style square hole…

how are the hub motors in particular on this board… arent they really just the same old chinese ones but tweaked with the right specs and with 2 of them so as not to not suck as bad

so are there really all these reports of the acton blink board v2 and chinese maytechs and what not… breaking down after 2 rides… or in actuality do they last 6 months with OK performance not as good with hills as belt drive… and randomly die… NOT SAYING THATS NECESSARILY A GOOD THING… but i havent been hearing any buzz about “acton blink single hub boards go up one hill and never work again” …

im going to post on the official acton community forum and ask for people’s experiences if the blink board v2 hub version is so bad that its boarderline useless…

OR

if its just NOT AS GOOD but still did the job for a good couple of months before breaking… and how this couple of months might be stretched by…

A. not being a total eboard snob and just cruising at 12mph on average (i would say 10mph is bare minimum where it becomes worthit to not just ride a regular board or jog or something lol)

B. riding mostly on flat ground

C. happening to be a skinny fuck like me…

this compared to… say… the dual hub newer products like s2 etc…

it is honestly news to me to hear that these single hub boards just work for 2 rides and fall apart and ever run again after that…

i was more under the impression that they worked OKAY and struggle for 6 months before not turning on one day… and doing things such as having 2 of them and being more chill in your riding style helped alleviate this slightly…

Why do you want hub motors they aren’t some magic Budget super Motors, They have a lot of drawbacks like unreplaceable urathine Crappy uphill performance etc, And Unless your buying expensive Hubs or should or Direct drive motors expect all of that.

Meepo is a good prebuilt board Go online watch reviews see what people say about it OR Research what are belt drive motors Look, at other peoples builds etc.

but just asking are the meepo hubs rebrands? same as the direct from china ones… because i will gladly get R-Spec hubs or Hummies or Carvon if theyre truly better

Whats your budget will you build your own go commercial or make someone do it for you. and yes Carvons are better but not worth it if you just want 15mph.

if i buy the parts seperately… im definitely doing it myself… if i buy a board complete… i will swap decks and trucks or little things like that…

my budget is 500 if necessary… and i dont need a deck or trucks… etc… depending on the design…

my main question is…

since it was immediately recommended to me to do dual hub motors when i started this thread…

would dual maytechs actually be shooting myself in the foot compared to these super esoteric “large” hubs mentioned previously and in the “why small hubs fail” thread

R-Spec hubs Hummies NEW double wide hub motors Carvon v3 or v4

Yeah guess how much carvons cost… 500$

wow… ok… but i dont think i can go with those because my goal is PORTABILITY and to INNOVATE in TRUCK WIDTH… …

i say this because now im getting somewhere because i would at least be willing to go with dual maytech or something NOT SO WIDE… and im hoping this changes things in terms of not having the board fail… or perhaps theres larger diameter maytechs that alleviate some of the issues… wheel diameter isnt really a concern i can go in the 90mm range if necessary its just the truck width i want to prototype…

so assuming im going with 2 hubs… is there any of the same problems???

So on a 500$ budget, you want to Have Custom made Trucks that are not wide. Come’on m8 :joy:

Look here See how his trucks are not wide He used a Belt motor.

@admiralackbar my sincere advice Is on your 500$ budget Buy a meepo board It only costs 400$ and if you’re worried about the uratine Getting ruined buy additional hubs from the website so that would cost you 400 + 100 That fits the budget and you get your clean looking hubmotors. Or Learn everything about Diy esk8 and wait till someones selling a motor on sale a Vesc etc.

2 Likes

i consider those wide… i have hub motor trucks that are not wide… they only fit maytech style mounts… not the flange bolt thingies… or the style on the meepo… also if any further modifications are necessary ill do it myself with the necessary tools… grinders drill presses etc…

im looking to take the trucks skinnier than the standard… its a goal of mine… but thats my entire point… CAN I JUST DO A DIY KIT THE SAME AS THE MEEPO SPECS WITH 2 MAYTECH hubs???

definitely getting somewhere with this!

basically any hub motor that has the cone shape that sticks out of the side wont work… i would happily just do a meepo style build with the hub motors of the same spec that will mount on my custom trucks…

to reiterate what i said before… the trucks are such a way that the wheels dont stick out wide from underneath the skinniest of decks… … they only fit maytech style mounts… I would happily go dual hub… just trying to figure out if two maytechs and the compatible vesc and battery would be as good as the meepo

OR if theres another board similar to meepo that uses the maytech style hub trucks without the bolts and what not… … and all would have to do is transfer deck and trucks…

YES…

i just took a look at the koowheel (anyone heard anything bad about those?)… the hub motors on the koowheel look like this…

s-l500

i think i would definitely be interested in buying one of these and just swapping the deck for something smaller and sliding the hub motors onto my custom tiny trucks!

somebody on another forum said “sounds like what you want is an electric penny board”…

no actually ive already done that… i have made multiple… im trying to innovate further with TINY TRUCKS… that dont stick out the sides… and I ALREADY HAVE THE TRUCKS… dont even gotta source them or ask a manufacturer to build something… from the start ive been saying the problem is THEY DONT FIT MEEPO STYLE / Ewheelin style/ bolted on style hub motors… only the ones that slide onto the square shaped hanger and on and lock into place

thoughts??? are you gonna tell me that the koowheel is bad?? serious question… is it?

the only concern i have is the size of the battery compartment wont fit on as small of a deck as i would like…(acton blink/ penny board size or smaller) but im definitely open to sacrificing the kick tail to move the trucks farther apart… it could end up just making it in between there

RIP

10 chars

1 Like

I have the Maytech Hubs and they are getting considerably hotter on a 10S battery then the meepo style one’s and they are less efficient. The heat makes the Urethane wearing out pretty quickly, my front wheels are showing slightly to no wearing and the hubs are cracking and tearing apart after only three months of use. This will even be worth with a single setup since one motor has to pull everything. Certainly you can make it work, Maytech is even selling them in 80mm. But the point i want to make is don’t make the same mistake as i did, i feel they were not worth the money. *Edit. I know everyone’s mileage vary, but that is my individual opinion.

Your gols are portability, reliability, average performance with one hub motor with a budget of 500 dollars.

Sorry to say but I won’t be possible unless you buy a meepi or koowheel, on the other hand it seems you don’t want to hear the recommendation of experienced forum members, read for a couple of weeks and you’ll find out your own answers

2 Likes

im looking at the koowheel… seems like something i could easily swap decks on… however… one concern is that the battery compartment is too long for the deck i would like to use…

im wondering if the hub motors on the “Landwheel” attatch with the square hole… cant really tell from pictures…

Please listen. We arent trying to hate or anything, just trying to help.

You are trying to do too much with too little knowledge and a $500 budget. If you want to “innovate”, you must First LEARN EVERYTHING about esk8. You’re basically trying to innovate an F1 car without knowing all the principles of a normal one.

1 Like