Hobbyking Turnigy Vesc

Ok. Are you going to make them yourself or buy them?

Hey @danielz, any update on your Turnigy VESC? Planning to use the same one. Also planning to do the same mods as you did. Can you (or anyone) show where to put (or replace) the 2x 100v low esr capacitors? Thanks.

Ive done about 80 miles now, no problems, and its on a mountain board with a single motor too, so quiet highly stressed. Ive now bought a second, havenā€™t fitted it yet though.

You can fit the caps anywhere you like. I put one on the short wires between mainboard and the caps pcb. The other is attached to the solder pads on the caps pcb. So i have 5 in total. Mines all secured down nicely so nothing breaks off.

1 Like

So itā€™s durable. Torture tested. Thatā€™s some good news. Thatā€™s why I wanna copy yours :smile: Can you post some photos or videos how you do it? If itā€™s not too much trouble. Thanks.

Mine currently in pieces as im fitting sensors to the motor, but here it is in a mess.

1 Like

I have two of these in my dual belt drive. Iā€™m running dual 5045 from racestar (banggood). Amp limit set at 40 as Iā€™m running 10s2p.

So far itā€™s working really well. No heat sink added yet and to be fair, the esc doesnā€™t heat up that much after riding. Iā€™m running it in BLDC but I have a friend running FOC and both have been working great.Iā€™ve run around 50k on them so far

I would happily buy a newer vescs if pricing and availability was better. Too bad shipping to my country is at least $30-50 from many retailers if itā€™s even in stock. HK can ship my order to me in 2 to 3 days, sometimes I can get it even before I have time to go to the local hobby store.

1 Like

In response to pats earlier question. 3d printed some.

Just completed it and omg! What a difference, when non sensored i can hold the motor with my hand at low rpm and it stalls or moves back and forth. Sensored it just pulls and pulls.Very happy.

Honeywell ss411a 17.14 degrees

Bulk order of 2000 pieces maybe

Can u give more info on how u made your sensors? Looks somewhat easy to doā€¦ at least better than making custom pcb or opening the motor and then gluing.halls

Ill make a small tutorial tonight.

6 Likes

Here you go.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Add-External-Hall-Sensors-to-a-Turnigy-SK3-/

5 Likes

Great read. Very easy to see the differense. in that last video though it looked like your mount was bending quite a lot though so Id be careful on that!

Time to do some reading and see if this mod can work of FOC aswell.

It bends a bit, the torque from the single motor makes it steer too left too, prototype mount until ive settled on a design. Second motor is here tomorrow.

1 Like

Adding capacitor(s) to this particular VESC, is it best to use 680uf?

You can use more or less. The longer your battery wires the more Capacitance needed. Mine are actually very short and tied together. So the stock amount would have sufficed, The only reason I added more was a) Im running 12s b) I cant verify the quality of the current caps. If you are running less voltage, you can save yourself some space and not use 100v caps.

Im forever repairing other devices because the caps have blown. So im airing on the side of caution by adding two extra high quality, high voltage low esr caps.

Thank you for your tutorial about hall sensors even it came to late for me, because I already built in hall sensors in my hub motors. What I read from your tutorial I choosed the right hall sensors: Honeywell SS460P High Sensitivity Latching Hall-Effect sensor (Bipolar latching magnetics).

Thanks for the tutorial. Ordered the hall sensors. Not sure if Iā€™ve missed it, but which side of the sensor is pointed towards the motor? Does that even make a difference? Judging by your wiring diagram, you have the signal wire on the left and +5V on the right, meaning you have the widest part of the sensor rotated towards the motor.

If you are using the same as mine, the narrow side faces the motor. If its another model best to double check the datasheet they all have. Updated the instructable.

Is your wiring diagram incorrect then or the image I attached? You have vcc on the right, where as the pic I posted would have it on the left.

Supposedly, the image I shared is the Honeywell sensor. Just making sure.

Nope they are both the same as the above image. Ive updated my wiring diagram so you can see the hall profile.