Hummie vs Devin (Volts conversion to amps)

Hey Devin, Have you come to any new conclusions? Reading your posts brought me here and made me create this account. Im going to look in-depth tomorrow after some much needed sleep. Anyway I came across this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbmEUi2p-nA did you ever play with the PID controller terms? Could it be integral term of the controller that is causing the input signal to get dampened, or maybe the P term which is not high enough to create a fast enough response?

Unless you use the ackmaniac app, the ESC control the current not the power. Current gives you torque and them speed depending on mechanical resistance. The power is simply a consequence of all that and equal torque x angular sped.

So I don t understand why some people say that higher volts gives lower amps? It does not make sense

I feel uneasy even coming back to this thread, but the sentence [quote=“Jerome, post:318, topic:6910”] higher volts gives lower amps [/quote] essentially the point is that you need lower battery current with higher battery voltage to produce the same power.

1 Like

I miss Devin in a weird kinda way

3 Likes

I fully get that but did you read my thread?

Skaye are not power controlled they arecurrent controlled. So why does raising the voltage decreases the current? Power is a consequence of torque * speed , and speed is a function of torque And the mechanical resistance seen

No this conversation is about electrical power, not physical power.

Power is A * V = W

And here’s a lesson with duty cycle.

Also this topic… Didn’t need to be resurrected at all lol

This goes back to Ohm’s law in the calculation of Power from voltage and current (P=VI). You made an error in one of the basic principles of electricity. Application of the mechanical side of the equation from power is the next step. To what you were saying.

Maybe Devin4 will come and argue this again but going back to the original question as to whether “volts get converted to amps by the esc”, if the motor can potentially be running at low duty cycle pushing way more amps than the battery would contain at its rated voltage, so for example going up a super steep hill at low speed where the effective voltage to the motor will be much lower than that battery…id call that converting volts to amps. He got ten bucks off me on a bet related to this and want it back!

1 Like

Power is power. Power IN is very close to the power out ( not considering losses) so the mechanical power is close to Current times BackEMF. Which is close to the battery power. But Power is never constant! Unless it is regulated that way but it often is not:)

I am a designer of high voltage power electronics for variable speed drives and Hvdc lines… so I know my stuff😃

1 Like

7 Likes

Why are all of @devin posts hidden?

There is only a hand full of people that as been ban from this forum, and upon them you can find @devin @devin2 and @devin3

I just found this other empty forum, no action, not even cake or chicks…how are his hub motors? Any good? http://buildelectricboards.com/

They are @Hummie hubs motor