[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi Guys,

Bit of context, about 2-3 years ago I tried to build an electric skateboard, bought all the parts, drew the diagrams, aaaand as you can guess it failed. pretty badly. If I recall correctly I shorted the BMS (connected the batteries in the wrong order -> saw smoke -> BMS showed no resistance anymore, I think that means its dead right? if not thatd be great). Since then the project sorta lost momentum and its been laying in my closet. Not wanting to live with that kind of failure, I recently booted up the project. Unfortunately, it seems like my tech is a bit outdated, and I really dont want to repeat the same mistakes. I’d appreciate help of any kind, ESPECIALLY with the electric diagrams and compatibility (more on that below).

Here’s what I have:

Batteries: 12s LiPo

VESCs: FocBoxes (if I recall correctly)

RC: enertions remote

Motors:

Drivetrain:

Board + enclosures:

Power switch:

Cursed BMS:

(ignore the duct tape and stuff)

If someone could whip up a circuit diagram, I’d be super grateful (mine were pretty bad). Also, any tips on where to find another 12s BMS that works with this build (supports charging and everything), would be really great, back then I was lucky enough to join a group buy, but I dont know exactly what I’m looking for.

Finally, apart from the BMS, another problem I had was that none of the parts could connect with the pins and connectors they came with. The controller receiver had 3x3 pins, and the vesc had no such input. the motors and the vescs wires also didn’t fit. I assume I’m not the first person with these issues but they seem so obvious that no one made a post about it (that I could find. those i could suggested mtm servo cables but none of the were 3xx3 and the one i have doesnt fit the focboxes. ).

Ive invested a lot of time and money, and I really want to see the project rolling (sorry), but I am woefully inadequate (18 years old, no engineering degree or anything), so if someone with more experience can help me out, that would be wonderful.

I figured this would be a good place to post, debating if I should make a new thread…

Any and all replies welcome

Thank You!

1 Like

Those are Rc aircraft flight packs. Technically theres no reason why you couldnt use them on an e-skateboard, but they are suuuper dangerous. Just a bit of knocking around, even inside of a padded enclosure can short out 2 layers of the pack and cause a fire.

I’m new here myself so I dont have a lot of expert advice for your build. I’m just starting here after being in the Rc aircraft hobby for over 10 years.

To me, charging thru a BMS and relying on it to bleed off extra current thru some resistors seems less than ideal. And I would never sleep while I had batteries hooked up to any hobby grade charging system.

You might want to consider using an Rc style battery charger and using that to balance charge rather than relying on a BMS. There are a few 12s balance chargers out there. One of the is the iCharger X12. I’m not familiar with the brand but that seems easier than wiring up 2 6s packs in series and messing with serial connectors and splitting them up to charge separately.

Good luck and let us know how your build progresses.

Talk to me talk to me talk to me baybay!

1 Like

Ah yes I’m already well acquainted with failure, we’re great friends actually we usually see each other a few times a week lol

2 Likes

Create a new topic with all the same information and ill help you with some diagrams.

2 Likes

thank you so much!!! I created one, Dual Motor Boosted Clone Project Revival - Help needed

Howdy dudes and dudettes! Oscar here, nomad living on a boat for 3 years, built my first board and now im coming for more :wink: Currently planning a inrunner build for racing purposes, looking for ppl with knowledge of inrunner setups since they seem few and far apart! Looking forward to putting some serious milage under my feet this year! Jah bless

3 Likes

howdy! welcome…

maybe you should build efoil too… more useful for that boat life :}

3 Likes

Maybe one beautiful day… But i need a job first ;D Actually esk8 and boating is a great combination! A lot of harbours are located far from stores and such so a board really helps with that! :wink:

2 Likes

I saw that mixed up accent beginning to happen to me early on. So I stopped it. Full (mostly) unadulterated Aussie accent). And I developed a respectable American accent as well that I use separately. It is harder work to have two, but better than a muxed up accent. IMHO. I imagine it’s like being bilingual a little. If a Frenchman who speaks Spanish meets a Spaniard who speaks French, what language do they speak when they speak to each other? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

that’s the spirit! the wife probably appreciates that too…

I hear that most American women would prefer an aussie import over a local… (lol… just jokes my fellow American bro’s)

4 Likes

Living on boat, that’s must be a cool life) Welcome to land)

1 Like

Thanks dude! Yeah i really do recommend it, freedom bro ;D

1 Like

I Use such aircraft packs since 2016 in my board. But I’m super careful with them and they are always under my supervision. I ve added more isolation and placed them between aluminum plates, tho. And im always balance charging… Yea, you have a point, don’t use lipos)))

1 Like

Yeah I use 2x 5s 5Ah Zippy “Vanguard” build. They work great and the BMS keeps them all within 0.01V.

1 Like

that’s the spirit! the wife probably appreciates that too…

I hear that most American women would prefer an aussie import over a local… (lol… just jokes my fellow American bro’s) [/quote]

LOL. Actually… My wife loves international travel and intrigue. BUT because of that, she always thought Aussies were so close to Yanks culturally that there was practically no difference except the accent. She would have probably preferred a Spaniard or Frenchman, to either of us. :wink:

2 Likes

She sounds lovely dear. :rofl:

1 Like

Gonna take my horse down the old town road and riidddee.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, im Khajag from Germany. im new here, im not much “forums active” person but lately that label is changing, since alot of interesting discussion and genius people are here. Im about to finish my all-custom e-longboard from designing and crafting enclosures, building battery pack to drawing and illuminating the board. i will be posting here once its finished, not alot of work left after being around more than a year working on it.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome! Cannot wait to see the build!

2 Likes