PSA - Don't buy TorqueBoards hubs

Sorry I couldnt help but share.

Heres my torqueboard hub

setup.

3 Likes

You have 2 sets of carvon 3s? That will be some insane torque!!!

1 Like

All my hub boards have to be 4wd cuz Im 280lbs hahaha.

6 Likes

I’m sorry, but suggesting that people could go out and buy the hubs with the intent to sue with “guaranteed return of tens or hundreds of thousands in court settlements”, is messed up. It quite possibly puts YOU in a legally actionable position as well. This is a totally crappy attitude. I don’t think it’s “blatant negligence”. Parts fail in the real world. To even remotely have a case, you would have to prove that you didn’t make a mistake on the install. Can you prove that you didn’t tamper with the bolt upon initial install? Maybe you did everything PERFECT, but if you can’t PROVE it…You are just blowing smoke, bro!

Don’t get me wrong…I sympathize with you having to go through this, but be careful what you say and how you say it. It can come back and bite you later…IMO

1 Like

Not good with sarcasm I see. And here I spent all night thinking of my ebook title…

I’m not going to get into an argument here, but when you email a company saying the bolts backed out, and they say other customers have had the same problem (ie, they’re aware of the issue but didn’t inform others or fix it) that is negligence. Plain and simple

Anyway, someone feel free to close this thread. Just want to keep it searchable in hopes of others not buying these.

1 Like

If the screws threaded in from the other side this wouldn’t even have happened…Yes hardware falls out. but when it backs out into the path of the phase wires and truck it’s an obvious design issue. And it’s dangerous. Look at it! How would you even know if this was happening while you’re riding? I wouldn’t sell these. @torqueboards you’re asking for trouble with these.

4 Likes

This is a very legit point.

@psychotiller If these hubs were dangerous. I wouldn’t be selling them. That would be just f’ed up. Anyone who wants to get someone hurt for a quick buck should re-think their business model. That’s not something I’d ever want to be apart of.

What difference does it make if the bolts back out from the front or the rear. Either way your screwed. They shouldn’t get to this point to begin with.

I’ve been riding these hub motors at 25-28mph with no issues. I have other customers who ride these hub motors as well.

Why would you be riding at 30mph if you have already had issues in the first place? Wouldn’t you otherwise be testing it at 10-15mph first off. Make sure everything is solid and then test it at a faster speed.

Of course, you need to install these correctly and you should be riding and testing the hubs before you go balls to wall with them. If these were sent completely installed then yes, I agree they shouldn’t be having these issues. But it’s DIY, there should be proper due diligence. You should check your setup and make sure it’s safe to ride.

There are many things in life which you purchase that don’t include instructions. If you aren’t sure or don’t know how to assemble something without instructions why would you purchase in the first place? Of course, this excludes the people who do study and learn.

2 Likes

Then why not post a warning for the ones u sell not mounted? I don’t think he would have bought urs if he knew what you just said

Its a physical problem that the bolts can and do exit towards the phase wires. If they fell out the front they would just fall out out without seizing the wheel or breaking your phase wires. Seriously. You can’t see the difference in effect? I’m not bashing what you sell. I’m telling you it’s a dangerous design.

1 Like

I don’t mean to beat this like a dead horse. But everyone should be careful. The last thing we need in this sport is people getting hurt. It’s not my intention to send or sell products that people can get hurt by but there also needs to be some thoughtfulness in what we do. If more people did have these issues, I’d take them off the shelf in a heartbeat but that’s not the case.

@willpark16 - Post a warning? This item must be installed correctly otherwise you’ll get hurt?

This should be something everyone thinks about. If you don’t, I would… A pair of scissors don’t include “Warning: Do not cut your fingers off”. Longboard trucks don’t say “Warning: Do not forget to tighten your axle nut”.

@psychotiller - Either option would stop or slow you down in movement. Whether or not your hub wheel falls off or your phase wires get snipped. These can be issues without the proper pre-cautions. Your not going to install your longboard wheels without an axle nut.

Sure, you can say it’s a bad design but so is everything else without proper installation. Besides, your only other option is to use a cir-clip/c-clip which would also make it harder to install/repair/modify otherwise. However, this is a considered option for a future hub motor simply because of the design aspect but not because bolts back out.

1 Like

I agree!! It’s like when you buy car parts. They come in a box with limited or zero instructions. You have to know what you are doing to properly install the part. You would be a fool to just bolt it on, without going over and checking all of the bolts and the whole assembly, for that matter. And rechecking after assembly. Then testing it with light load(If it failed in 5min, they probably were already loose and it would have been noticable). It sounds like the motor was just bolted on fast and ridden hard to failure. It failed in 5 min…Sure sounds like it was loose before it was ever ridden…Which would be on the installer. Who goes balls to the wall on an untested machine? Not a good lifestyle practice.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’re missing my point on purpose or not. Seeing that long bolt coming out of the wrong side of that wheel gives me the heebee jeebees.

But there’s a huge different between things failing and things failing with bad results. Everyone knows longboarding is dangerous. A big part of the fun is mitigating that danger and pressing on. I would’nt ride a bike with a loose front wheel either.

Do what you want I guess…

I did. Where did I say that I didn’t do this. I was stopping every half mile or so and everything seemed ok. Then all the sudden I went flying. It seems some are ignoring the whole “I rode 4 miles…” part. You’re acting like I added loctite, said “screw it. no time to wait for it to cure, and tightening these bolts hurts my hand”, threw my board down and just slammed it to full throttle.

The part that catastrophically failed was the hub itself, which as you know, does come fully assembled. The stator slipping previously is completely irrelevant to the bolt backing out and you can point your finger and call me a moron all you want about that (for the record, you told me that just tightening down the set screws hard enough should be sufficient). The hub itself failed. Nothing at all to do with installation. As has been pointed out, it’s a poor design, and you should have fixed it and emailed existing customers to let them know there is an issue. You’re focusing on one aspect (not drilling a pilot hole for the stator to mount to) which isn’t even what caused the problem. Your scissors and trucks analogies are just ridiculous too. Come on man.

I’m done with this though. I got the point. Your product is flawless, and I’m an idiot who should carry a driver with me on every ride, stopping to tighten the bolts every mile or so. I mean, it’s DIY. Noted.

1 Like

Sounds like everyone is getting pissed about this. As far as the facts go…it seems a better design to have the bolts o. The outside of the so that if it backs out then it his the ground and not electronics or the other wheel. It also seems that if the bolts had been fastened with locktight and allowed to cure this never could have happened. [

This sounds like exactly what you did. Without more info I can’t accept that the bolts backed out with correctly applied and installed locktite.

1 Like

I have had this same issue multiple times on both a pre-assembled freeflow and a set of dual hubs that I fixed with loctite temporarily, but honestly I still don’t fully trust them and I plan to drill small holes for the set screw to grab. The biggest issue I have with the design is the tiny screws holding the hub ring on breaking off. I think replacing all of the hardware with better stuff and using loctite would definitely help.

I feel the pain, it sucks, lets call it design still in it’s infancy (beta)? and one has to question why the loctite failed to cure? In the motorcycle world before you can compete or do a high level track day with a fast group you need install a catch can/bottle for radiator fluids and wire all your engine bolts so they can’t back out and cause injury to someone else or you (you drill a hole in the bolt head and tie it off with piano wire). Sad but true this shit happens…

2 Likes

I don’t want to judge these motors, cause I’ve never tried them. But from a design point, seems safer to have it fail with the screws on the outside instead of inside. Yes, your some what screwed either way, but I’ve had the screws that hold hummies wheel on the motor fall out and I was able to ride it out on the metal can without a spill (it was my fault, not a design flaw in this case). If they came out like this, that would not be the same case.

These screws should have more threading too. There’s too much stress on them for such little threading. Triple the threading length, and lock tight will never be needed, they will stay on by themselves.

2 Likes

I have 4 of these hubs, there are lots of improvments from the last version which I appreciate. Biggest problem with the last version was the ring that retained the urathane coming loose. Dexter completely solved that issue with this new design. The new urathane locking ring also came with larger bolts and loctite already added! The bolts on the back dont have loctite though, big whoop. Add some loctite and forget about it. He also improved the torque with a longer stator and also added sensors which is a huge improvement.

These are still the best value hubs on the market imo and Ive tried pretty much all of them.

4 Likes

If anyone is still convinced they want these after reading this thread I’m willing to trade the motors and front wheels only (no trucks) for some trucks, dual motor mounts (for 63xx motors), and pulley set for flywheels (16/36 ideally). Figure this is the only way I’ll recoup some of the costs. You’ll probably need new urethane since the bolt ripped a chunk out when I had the accident.

I take no responsibility for you also getting wrecked by using these.

Oh, and they’re the 130kv version

2 Likes