START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

If you are planning to build your first electric skateboard at home you probably have lots of questions, most of the questions you have are the same questions everyone has at the start! Questions such as what battery? what motor KV? what ESC? The answers to these questions can often be found by doing some reading first.

:bangbang: Do lots of reading first. :bangbang:

:bangbang: The search function is very powerful, please use it. :bangbang:

:bangbang: Only create a new thread if you cannot find your answers in other threads. :bangbang:

LINKS TO THREADS YOU SHOULD READ NOW

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/draft-a-beginner-guide-to-diy-an-esk8/46844

OTHER INTERESTING THREADS YOU SHOULD VISIT

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-member-introduce-yourself-here-tell-us-your-plan/216/8

BUY COMPLETE ELECTRIC SKATEBOARDS ON AMAZON

31 Likes

CREATING YOUR FIRST TOPIC

11 Likes

Lately there are more people coming into the forums and although there are alot of active members involved, we can’t just simply answer all of the questions especially simple and or common questions all the time.

Please spend time to read! Read other people build, understand their budget and performances! There are alot of esk8 builds in this forum and they all end up pretty well. Search for the highest views and or highest reactions and You will get your answer quicker rather than repeating other people simple questions.

#PLEASE READ FIRST and Search!# and even if you encounter a problem with your build, Please use the search function! It makes other members find their answers easier without repeating reading the same solutions over and over.

Around 80% of starter questions are almost dealing with the same problems. So if you are very new, you don’t want to make mistake (happens very often for unexperienced builder), you want to save budget, you don’t want to miss ordering some parts, you don’t want to wait for longer or double shipping cost.

Read, search and make your list. Good luck!:wink:

#Basic FAQS: 1. Does making eSkate require electronics / mechanics knowledge? No, you can learn by reading this forum, ask questions to other members / moderators. It would be helpful to help you kick start, avoid mistakes, build a reliable board. We all learn this knowledge through other members within this community too.

2. Is it actually possible that those small RC hobby motor push me around? Yes. At first that is also rather strange for most of us, but those motor are highly powerful with gobs of torque. Some configuration would take you 35 degree climb and or top speed exceed 50kmh. The acceleration is ridiculous. But keep in mind that most motor we use here are brushless motor (BLDC motor - 3 cables motor) between 90kv - 260kv.

3. How could it be that just now we have this eskating possible and not some years ago? A very good question. I do believe that within the old days, building eskate motor like this is possible. However there wasn’t simply powerful enough batteries and electronics that run high amperage to actually push people around. With the inventions of the RC industries, the battery technologies (LiPo and Liion) its made possible.

4. How to get started? This is a very broad questions, I believe everyone here have their own ways. At least I started by just reading some builds within this forums. Those experience builders mostly list all parts or show some techniques or tips to get awesome results. However I learned alot through reading common members build threads where they made mistakes / miss orders / forgetting to purchase some parts. Therefore I wouldn’t repeat same common people mistakes during my assembly. I would also encourage you to get started with your own build thread, asking reviews and mention your parts. It would be beneficial for all of us at the end of the day.

17 Likes

Hi I just bought this motor from alien power systems:http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/alien-5070-hev-sensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-270kv-2200w/ The thing it unlike sk3 motors which have a flat spot, this motor has a keyway. Do you think it will still work with this sprocket:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-12T-Rotary-Chain-Drive-Sprocket-12-Tooth-Pitch-6-35mm-Bore-5-6-8-10mm-/161940970678?var=&hash=item25b46f1cb6:m:m3rf6KeBnmJqoJmGjfqRq2g Basically I m trying to figure out if set screws work with keyways.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I was looking for a budget e-skateboard and this is the cheapest I find it. you think woth for the money…I am 60kg thanks

2 Likes

a part of me died looking at that.

14 Likes

you think the battery will be too crap…died after some use?

1 Like

I can keep the motor,battery.esc…and add it in a better skateboard of my choice…

1 Like

Hiii i wont price list for all parts

2 Likes

I have all the stuff to make an electric mountain board but I can’t figure out how to make/ get my mount to work, could someone help me? idk where to post this so i just tossed it in here sry.

3 Likes

Hi, I am planning to build something which is quite similar to electric skate board but it has an auto pilot function to “follow me” the subject it wanted to follow. I am an enthusiast road cyclist that witnessed too many cases where cyclist get run over by car or motorcyclist from behind. My project involve an electric skate board in principal with auto pilot function to follow the cyclist from behind with flashing lights to warn the rear incoming traffic about cyclist at the front.

My questions are as follow:

i. Since my electric skate board won’t be carrying people but only some electronics gadget, what will be the size of motor i need for 30kg load? ii. what is the battery size needed to power the motor for 8 hours or more? I wanted the electric skate board to be able to run 7 hours straight because sometimes i will need to cycle 7 hours. iii. I would like my skate board to be able to turn 180 degree, what mechanism can i install on the skateboard?

Thanks.

5 Likes

Hi, I just bought everything I need tonbuild an E-Boarf because I’m doing one for school. The problem is that I only bought 1 5s lipo battery and I am wondering if it’s possible to make my E-board without buying another one because all of it is quite expensive.

Thanks in advance, Guillaume

1 Like

Yep 5s will work fine

3 Likes

Thanks a lot:)

1 Like

Hello my name is Antonio, I built a skateboard with only one engine and two-wheel drive. I modified the engine. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/BjJrPzoXaeI

16 Likes

Did you just extend the motor shaft?

hello … I have the drive shaft broke and I decided to replace it with a longer one … and it works well… do you like?

2 Likes

I cannot imagine how you will drive a curves. The wheels on the left or ride side have to spin faster to make a curve. In your design the back two wheels will always spin the same rpm?

correct … go-kart use the same system and are still very funny… I’ll make a video to demonstrate how it works … as soon as possible.

3 Likes