Trampa materials

Nowhere did i say ppm wasnt viable. I just responded to someone that clearly was looking for something better and offered my opinion. I own 4 nrf remotes. Vedder has a bunch of em in different iterations as well. neither of us ever had any problems. Not sure what fight youre trying to pick. I have a few ppms as well, but theyre on the shelf.

Not trying to pick a fight, trying to correct misinformation…

Why, you haven’t given any reliable benefits as of yet.

That statement alludes to PPM remotes DO fail, which is not any more true for PPM than any other remote.

Did they ever fix the cold temperature issues? I know you regard the remote highly, but thats a big issue for some :frowning:

Id love a puck… I just want safety features… ala feather remote :frowning:

Might have been abit unclear, ive ranted about this before so I might have been abit short.

My personal experience and judging from others as well, its quite safe to assume that some (not all) ppm solutions have issues. These issues i have, again personally, solved by using nrf instead.

The benefit would be that after 4 years of use, i had zero problems. (the extra features are nice too ofc)

And Id say that my statement can be interpreted how ever you wish, again personal experience and I know im not alone. Not sayin all ppms have problems or is indefinitely unreliable.

1 Like

This was an issue from the Preassembled boards not in the DIY community. It affects the cold start pairing of the board and remote wasn’t already paired

No, Im almost positive this affected the puck. In fact I remember something about (pardon my bruteness with technical terms) a thermotransistor being out of temperature range

E:

yes it was ‘isolated’, but I dont check the topic much so this might be fixed, who knows :man_shrugging:

E: I stand corrected

I don’t have one but according to everyone I know who does they are a solid unit. That cold issue affects most remotes apparently. Something to do with the crystals. Above my paygrade though and living where I do its a non issue for me. The point was they have put together a very good quality unit which performs much better than most and for that you have to pay a premium which should be fine considering how important the remote is to any set up.
My futaba rc remote cost me 400 bucks. Range is awesome never drops out and has no cross interference issues. I paid this gladly for running a model car so why wouldn’t I pay the same for moving me around? Lot less painful when you experience failure during an rc car race than hurtling down the road on a plank of wood. Personally i use benchwheel or maytech because they have been the most reliable so far but still have issues that a bit more investment could cure.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, but it was only the prebuilts that had the issue.

2 Likes

Would be great if that would be true. I had a very bad fall a few years back with Benjamins open source remote like you can read on the Vedder Forum. (Sadly the forum is somewhat down and you can’t read everything posted there) It wasn’t just a disconnect with losing the ability to break and accelerate, but it accelerated to full speed without any option to stop that. A lot more scary than anything I have heard about PPM remotes.

2 Likes

Wierd, i had the exact same thing but with ppm. I bailed and the board went into a wall at the central station

2 Likes

No need to pay $400 to get a solid connection. The futaba 3PM-X costs around $150 and comes with the most dependable system they ever made (FASST). I had it before I got my $400 4PK-S and apart from the extra features the connection is the same. I said it before and will say it again. All esk8 remotes currently on the market are a sorry excuse for a remote, especially one that our life depends on it. I wish Futaba or some other reputable manufacturer (not you Spectrum :rofl:) came out with an esk8 remote.

3 Likes

I’ve got PCBs waiting for me at home :wink:

I’ve just been overseas for way too long with day job projects. I’m back Saturday though and have 2 weeks off to dig into OSRR!

5 Likes

This is kinda off topic to the thread but I’d like to clarify some things.

Re: Hoyt St Honestly that issue only presented itself to a small handful of people, it had nothing to do with the remote but I’ve seen all sorts of misinformation.

It only ever impacted production boards being turned on below or around 0C. It was an issue with the PCM and had nothing to do with the remote at all, it was just reported as a remote issue because users turned on their board at 0C and the remote wouldn’t autoconnect.

I personally looked into this for Hoyt St with another engineer to determine the root cause (he actually found it ultimately). It has nothing to do with their remote, DIY users won’t be impacted. It was never a ‘connection dropout’ issue, it was an issue at cold start up that wasn’t giving enough juice to the receiver during initial auto-pairing. Nothing that impacts ride time.

The Hoyt St Puck is the best option on the market right now in terms of reliability and robustness. It’s a gold standard in my book, and I’m currently designing my own remote. I highly recommend theres.

Full disclosure: I do not speak for Hoyt St Electric. I am not officially affiliated with them and receive no compensation for any sales. They’re just local to me and JJ is a good friend of mine. :wink:

5 Likes

I went down the specktrum route too. I bought the 4pk because it was the best. Yes I’m that kind of slut.

My point entirely though summed up nicely by the embryo

3 Likes

4 Likes

Entirely accurate.

3 Likes

@taz sore about the embryo? Come on dude old geezer has to get revenge somehow.
You’re 2 for 1

2 Likes

Come one dude, there is a time difference you are forgetting about. This baby faced assassin has got to get some sleep before executing his plan for revenge :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Did you Sleep tight baby boy You good? Mummy get your cereal?

2 Likes