VESC-Project.com is online! Public VESC-Tool download

Thanks @JohnnyMeduse

Just to be sure. When im running full duty cycle, and let go on the throttle, it has a little delay before the motor starts decrease in rpms. Same thing, when i make a full brake, and let go on the trigger to neutral, it holds the brake for a split second, before it stops braking. So do you think the changing the Positive ramping time, will affect both these “symptoms” or do i need to play with the negative ramping time as well ?

@Silverline could you just need to turn off the median filter? says it delays to reduce noise “use a median filter on the decoded pulses. Will delay the signal slightly, but rejects outliers caused by noise.”

1 Like

Why would you even want a positive/negative ramping delay? Couldn’t these just be left at 0?

Don’t know… I feel the same way…

I’m hoping this works out well for HW 4.7.

Anyone tried FOC with the torque VESC? Stupid question but does this fw make FOC safer for the vesc?

It’s probably too new to say how well this will work on 4.12 VESCs. I have heard of a lot of people blowing their toqueboards VESC with, and even without, FOC.

Lol yep, I’m itching to try FOC but don’t have the money to shell out for a new vesc if my tb one breaks.

New fmw i check th vd’s note says improved current detection what not So im guessing stability update.

Hmmm, I’ll try BLDC on it for now. Later when I get the money for a new vesc, I’ll try FOC on the torque vesc, for science!!

3 Likes

godspeed…

As soon as I’m done with my build & confident in how to set up FOC I’ll try it on my two Torqueboards VESCs @GrecoMan !

Just tried FOC on my Torqueboards VESC and 75KV hub motor, sensorless! There’s a big difference in how it handled compared to the FOC using BLDC Tool!

It feels like it has more torque. Maybe I’ve got some settings wrong, but it feels like it’s louder now than it was before though… It’s not bad, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t as loud as it is now.

It doesn’t cog half has bad when on low rpms! Though I’m going to hook up the sensors eventually, so hopefully there will be none of that.

To set the correct eRPM I took voltage * motor KV * magnet pole pairs which gave me 427514=44100 but I rounded it down to 44000. Is that too conservative and how does it effect the perfomance?

Here’s a bonus video of it running in BLDC. The cruise controll makes it stall/stutter. Not sure what that is all about.

Updated my two 4.12’s today. Worked perfectly and the new tool is VERY easy to use with the wizards! Huge applause for Frank, Vedder and friends for making this available to us! :slight_smile:

I’ve been running BLDC until now on my 12S eMTB but I decided to try out the much hyped FOC-mode on the new firmware. As a total newb to this mode I found the wizard super helpful once again and motor detection went smooth as butter. After all was set up I immediately found the lower noise attractive and startup from standstill was now finally doable - YAY! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: The thing is though… when applying more aggressive throttle I only accelerated slowly and at a certain speed I actually felt at bit of clogging and ups’n’downs in speed until I reached a point where acceleration felt smooth again - I never went really fast as I did not feel comfortable with this.

I tried doing a new round of motor detection but still the same - eventually I switched back to BLDC (still on the new FW) and everything now seems to be like before - and I DO find that insanely fun as I’ve driven 400 kilometers in the last three weeks on this thing! :smiley:

Guess I’ll try FOC again at a later time when I’ve read more about it’s tweaks and tricks. :slight_smile:

Again - thank you Frank and Vedder! :+1:

2 Likes

Are there any updates to the VESC 4.xx firmware that weren’t already present in the @Ackmaniac firmware?

1 Like

Finally got my focboxes working with the new tool. Only with the BLDC mode, not Foc (any ideas why?). Anyways first ride was very smooth, and the throttle curve behaved perfectly. That was until about half way through my ride on a a full speed pull (36mph) when I realized I didn’t have any brakes… I have the gt2b controller so I know it didn’t have interference, (also in rural area) so I carved hard to slow down, flipped the on-off switch a few times hoping the brakes would start working. Braced for impact and slid halfway through someones front yard… no serious injuries, but I noticed on the ride home, any time I do a full throttle pull I loose braking until it slows down to half speed. The battery when this happens is about 36-38v (half empty), parameters are ({for each focbox}motor 100, -60 battery 40, -10 , erpm 60000,-60000, battery cut off start 34v) so it must be a software issue? No fault codes when I plugged them in… Beware New software in BLDC mode, may loose brakes.

There’s no benefit in limiting your eRPM ceiling like that, just leave it at 60k and call it a day

1 Like

in bldc mode focbox tends to hit absolute max amp so if u go like 140 it’s better. but ultimate way to solve is either change gear ratio or use foc. try rebind controller it might solve

I just used the new tool, updated my VESC firmware and set up FOC for the first time. Kind of annoying having to go through the entire set up again but its fine. I also had the delay on the breaks and throttle mentioned earlier but its probably just that FOC will take a little for me to get used to. My major problem though is that im no longer getting any data through the UART port. I made my own android app to send me data through a bluetooth module and arduino using RollingGeckos library but it literally just wont send data. I set the mode to PPM+UART and baud to 9600 and everything. Any ideas? about to do some investigating.

@trampa and anyone using this… I tried searching the forums here and over at vesc-project but I haven’t found any solutions. Every time I tried and to an FOC motor detect it says “R is 0. Please measure it first.” And that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far. Any ideas?