What are the current bottlenecks in esk8?

I don’t agree, a lot of this comes down to rider skill. We are still riding skateboards here.

Let’s bring some science in here. What is an acceptable rate of acceleration and braking on dry pavement?

If you are happy with it, that’s fine!

Coming from a boardriding background (ski,snow,surf), I expect much more G from my boards, much more carving and generally much more control.

Drifting hopelessly is a bottleneck to me…but again, if you are happy with it, that’s ok for me.

We just don’t call a board the same thing.

1 Like

Your just not riding it correctly if your not hitting the G’s you want. The other board sports you listed aren’t powered so your basically talking about carving. This comes down to skill and setup. What duro are you riding? Are you using high quality wheels like abec11 or better yet abec12 jk

1 Like

I ride Flexboardz (my pseudo), with independant leaning wheels, so I don’t have the same grip bottleneck.

You and everyone else is waiting, that’s for sure.

1 Like

anyway, i think the total weight of the board is indeed a bottleneck. you can build something with awesome specs but you still have to carry the damn thing when you’re in places you can’t ride it (not offroad but like inside buildings and such.)

1 Like

Ok, it makes sense now. You’ve already created a solution to your problem. That’s great if it works for you. I hope your idea pans out. I’m still happy shredding the gnar og

2 Likes

I just let this here:

Which out of this three? Nothing else.

1 Like

I sold Flexboardz during 10+ years so it works not just for me (I have few technical explanations about it)… and during all that time, I’ve learned that I can’t convince a true skater who prefer sliding to carving.

1 Like

I suppose it’s a use case. I still carve on urathane. If I want to slide I need to change wheels. Perhaps users that are not skaters need some extra help.

What is the use case for your product?

Initially, it was for mountainboarding and then, mainly for Kitemtb where grip and stability is needed to handle the power of the wind

Flexboardz website is out of order but you can see more details about the boards on Flexboardz youtube page

For me the bottleneck is the roads. Too rough and bumpy to ride fast, even with 150 mm AT. The sidewalks and bicycle lanes do not have the same requirements as for the roads in terms of smoothness etc. it seems here in Sweden. And of course, the weather is a bi*ch!

2 Likes

only ones I have ever seen is trampas: https://www.trampaboards.com/vertigo-hanger--magura-hydraulic-brakes-with-solid-disks-to-fit-superstar-wheels--p-25702.html

The first attempt of our mighty german government was the limitation to 20 km/h and a driving license for a gasoline scooter and the person must be at least 15 years old. And on top a general operating certificate.That point is complete bullshit. And no esk8 and hoverboards were included in this law draft. The next attempt, after some critic from our folks, was to lower the minimum age to 14 and 20 km/h and 12 years for 12 km/h(there is no electric scooter for that speed lol). And the driving license was been tossed. You won’t believe me, that this law draft is about 50 sites long. I would be fine with 25 km/h. This law draft converts also 250.000 electric vehicles on the german streets to scrap metal, caused by the general operating certificate.

Governments… absolutely useless ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Do you know me? Do you know my background? Of course you don’t but still presumed to write off my experience as a typical skater. Wonderful. Now go and electrify that creation of yours and then we will see if it indeed does what you think it does. I for one would love to see that board with power because I too have been riding boards my whole life. I was using a landsailer in 1980 which is probably before you were born. I was on the british funboard windsurfing tour when I was 15 which was probably before you were born. Sponsored by sailboard when I was 16. Still surf and windsurf every chance I get and am a member of my local cable ski joint because I can wakeboard too. Don’t do too much snow boarding anymore because I have dislocated both knees more times than I can remember. Never presume my friend. Love your work btw Now as @Andy87 has so succinctly pointed out we have massively derailed this poor guys thread. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

He’s had powered Flexboardz for over 8 years now I’m pretty sure, perhaps longer. And he’s been a part of the community coming on 10 years ( though, as you may have noticed his discussion tends to be pretty heavily focused on his own thing )

1 Like

Cue me popping up the don’t I feel like the fucking asshole meme. I feel sheepish but he still presumed!!! I’ll slope off into the corner now and lick my wounds. I’m broken.

Last shot Can’t be that good then! boom. I’m back

Actually, yes, I know your riding habits quite well since I have had this talk with hundreds of different clients (downhill skate or mtb, kite, wind, ice, motor…) during the last 20 years. Typical truck/thane/no questionjustrideharder (and same courtesy :slight_smile: ). (please don’t mention my age).

Eboards are still boards and the same bottlenecks (lack of traction, wobble, busted bearing, melted hub, torn tires,…) happened in the 2000’s mtb era, specially on Kitemtb, and were somehow addressed.

I simply remind the “lost memories” …and believe that it will be much much worse with Eboards now that the electric/electronic power is widely available.